[ntp:questions] Re: Fingerprinting hosts by clock skew

Mxsmanic mxsmanic at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 5 08:19:31 UTC 2005

David L. Mills writes:

> I should add to that proposal using NTP frequency to
> reveal outdoor temperature if the IT staff would put the computer
> outside the building in a doghouse on the roof.

That's like saying that you can measure accelerations in a fighter jet
by leaving the flight computers unattached and measuring the error rates
they experience as they bang around the fuselage.  It's much easier to
put in accelerometers that the computers can read.  And in this case it
might be a lot more practical to just put a thermometer outside and keep
the computer indoors, even though it would take NTP out of the
weather-prediction loop.