[ntp:questions] Re: Frequency and leapseconds!

erik corell cii99ec7 at i.lth.se
Wed Mar 9 01:12:15 UTC 2005

Thanks a lot Kevin for your reply!

I have now done meassurements on the computer frequency in terms of TSC (clock cycle counter) and found some annoying things. It turns out that when the clock is unsynced (ntp_adjtime() returns 5), the meassured clock frequency follows the (nominal frequency)+(skew from ntp_adjtime) exactly. However, when the clock is feeling alright the skewing is veird. If I or the NTPD sets the skew to 400 ppm for example this result in a correct frequency change at first. After only a little while though the meassured frequency skew starts to move down much faster than the skew from ntp_adjtime. See for your self.

Note the difference between column B and C below.