[ntp:questions] Re: Time changed in Paraguay, how do I fix my clock?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Mon Mar 14 15:37:50 UTC 2005

"Victor Rafael Rivarola" <vrrivaro at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:632b2cc.0503140712.c2fbfc3 at posting.google.com...

> You can see it certified here, in Spanish:
>
> http://anteriores.lanacion.com.py/noticias.php?not=100131&fecha=2005/03/12
>
> The article is in Spanish, but the important points are:
>
> - This happened because of Executive Order 1.867
> - Time change occured on 0:00 march 13 (2nd sunday of march), 2005 by
> -60 minutes.
> - Time change will reverse (+60 minuteds) on the 3rd sunday of
> october.
> - This order was promulgated on the request of the Minister of
> Education not to interrupt school classes.
>
> I already knew about this for some time, but I wasn't even sure if the
> clock will switch automattically or not, it din't. How do I find this
> out and make the changes if necessary, so that next time I can send
> you a diff?

NTP tracks UTC. Paraguayan "local" time is defined as a certain offset
from UTC, and what has shifted is the offset. NTP is in no way involved.

You need to tell your operating system this. On Windows, there was once
a time zone editor in the Windows 95 Kernel Toys. On Unix, /etc/localtime
is a copy of or a soft link to a file under /usr/share/zoneinfo and while
I don't know the file format, it's bound to be described somewhere. You
could also ask the people who maintain those files for an update, or the
president who broke the old one.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink