[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd on Windows XP

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Wed Mar 23 18:21:05 UTC 2005

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2005-03-23, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>>
>>> Please see the "Command Options" section of
>>> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/confopt.html
>>
>> I think the above reference is what confused the OP! I know it
>> confuses me!
>
> Here's an excerpt:
>
>> burst
>>    When the server is reachable, send a burst of eight packets
>>    instead of the usual one.
>
>> iburst
>>    When the server is unreachable, send a burst of eight packets
>>    instead of the usual one.
>
> It seems pretty clear if you understand what "reachable" means.

I disagree.  Unreachable sounds like a fault condition, something that
would not normally be encountered.  Reachable sounds like a normal
operating mode.

However, if phrases like:

  burst
  only use for debugging, not for normal usage

  iburst
  typically used when NTP is starting up so as to speed initial
synchronisation

were added to the text it would make it much clearer what the intended
purpose of these options was.

Cheers,
David