[ntp:questions] Surplus Alpha as timeserver?

Bjorn Gabrielsson bg at lysator.liu.se
Fri Mar 25 19:49:18 UTC 2005

What OS should I run? Linux, FreeBSD or Tru64?

The AlphaStation is almost a decade old. But a quick testing over
night with NTP shows a respectable clock drift below 2ppm.

The goal is to set the machine up as a public reachable time
server. In due time with a local GPS refclock.

I am mostly a Linux guy, but there is no PPSkit for Linux/alpha.
FreeBSD/alpha might be better as suggested by

        http://phk.freebsd.dk/pubs/timecounter.pdf

Is FreeBSD/alpha as good as FreeBSD/x86? What about Tru64?

Any suggestions?

-- Björn