[ntp:questions] Re: XNTP for SGI IRIX 6.2

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Sun May 15 21:47:33 UTC 2005

On 2005-05-13, Walter Schrabmair <wschrabi at gmx.at> wrote:

> I have downloaded the Xntp Tardist from your site.
> http://reality.exsgi.org/scotth/info/xntp.html

That site is maintained by a third party. Is is not a part of either the
NTP Project, http://www.ntp.org/, or the NTP Public Services Project,
http://ntp.isc.org/. The contact address listed on that page is:
scotth at sgi.com

The current NTP source distribution is available from
http://ntp.isc.org/download

> But myn man pages are not found. When I make man xntp nothing is
> found. But I installed teh man subsystem.

The Official NTP documentation is maintained and distributed only as
HTML. Manpages, or other forms of documentation, are maintained by third
parties.

The NTP Documentation Index is located at:
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/DocumentationIndex and contains a link
to the HTML NTP documentation and other documentation resources.

> Where do I have to enter the timeserveraddress? (e.g.
> clock.fmt.he.net)

The ntpd configuration file is named ntp.conf and is usually located in
/etc/ or /usr/local/etc/. Here's a minimal ntp.conf:

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
server time.server.a iburst
server time.server.b iburst
server time.server.c iburst

The Public Time Server Lists are located at http://ntp.isc.org/servers

> How can I see that my time is adjusted with that server?

'ntpq -p' will show you the status of the associations with your remote
time servers and which one you are synced to.

'ntpq -crv' will show you all of your ntpd variables.

You will also find ntpd messages in your syslog.