[ntp:questions] Re: Quasi-On_topic: System (kernel) time jumps 3600 seconds at random times. Stumped.

elickd at one.net elickd at one.net
Wed May 18 19:46:52 UTC 2005

If you're talking about the ugly substitute for setclk, I agree it
should be nuked.

As for the script we run to set the time, it's a legacy app. to say the
least. However, I can't just start NTP on machines or configure my own
stratum 1 as I'm with a large company where the ROI for every action I
propose has to be carefully scrutinized.

I'd love to run NTP on every machine we have or at least frequent
ntpdates, but our network network group would scream at me if I
suddenly started 2500 machines banging away at 4 time servers every 60
seconds over frame relay connections(too much jitter already to get the
poll times to increase).

With 2500 machines, I can't run around starting processes on them on a
whim; there must remain a reasonably strict level of standardization or
they will become unmanagable.

So far, running a cron to log time changes is probably my best bet, but
it's somewhat daunting because of the extremely random nature of the
time errors I'm seeing and the huge quantity of data I'm likely to
gather.

I just can't fathom what the *&#$^ is causing the system/kernel clock
to jump exactly 3600 seconds. It's driving me nuts!

Doug