[ntp:questions] Re: unreachable servers

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri May 27 16:02:32 UTC 2005

Adamiec, Larry wrote:

>I am running a stratum 3 server on Solaris 9.  My config file contains
>the following entries:
>
>server  ntp-1.cso.uiuc.edu
>server  gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu
>server  ntp1.kansas.net
>server  blade.avnf.com
>
>When I run the ntpq command, I receive the following results:
>
>ntpq> associations
>ind assID status  conf reach auth condition  last_event cnt
>  1 43644  9614   yes   yes  none  sys.peer   reachable  1
>  2 43645  8000   yes    no
>  3 43646  8000   yes    no
>  4 43647  9414   yes   yes  none   synchr.   reachable  1
>
>ntpq> peers
>     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
>disp
>======
>*ntp-1.gw.uiuc.e truechimer.cso.  2 u  202 1024  377     7.64   -0.035
>0.43
> gilbreth.ecn.pu 0.0.0.0         16 -    - 1024    0     0.00    0.000
>16000.0
> triangle.kansas 0.0.0.0         16 -    - 1024    0     0.00    0.000
>16000.0
>+blade.avnf.com  hora.cs.tu-berl  2 u  462 1024  377    29.85   -9.631
>20.16
>
>Why would these servers be unreachable?  A ping from server shows them
>to be alive and working.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Larry

Does your config file contain any restrict statements?

It's possible that a firewall is blocking port 123 somewhere along the
line.  AFAIK there is no good reason to do so, but some networking
people start by blocking everything and allowing only what they think
they need..

It's also possible that the server is refusing connections from you for
some reason.   Contact the administrator and inquire about the problem
AFTER you have done all possible to make sure the problem is not on your
end.

FWIW both gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu and ntp1.kansas.net are reachable from
my site.  I used ntpdate -du which simply queries the server and reports
what it would do if I permitted it to adjust my clock.  Both servers
responded promptly with times in good agreement with the servers I use
regularly.   It seems likely, therefore, that the problem IS at your end.