[ntp:questions] I'm missing something about restrict

Scott Becker skot at goe.to
Fri May 27 18:13:09 UTC 2005

I've got a working time server for my building.
I'm trying to use it to sync my other servers instead of them bugging
the public servers.
I'm trying to specify them with the restrict line but still get denied.

Here's my config file:
# default config (with RHEL)
restrict default nomodify notrap noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1

# my subnet - timeservice works from this
restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap

# my host outside my subnet - it gets 'unreachable'
restrict 66.235.70.240 nomodify notrap
# I added this but it didn't help
server 66.235.70.240

# the servers I'm syncing from
server clock.via.net
server bigben.ucsd.edu

# rest of the default config
server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
broadcastdelay  0.008

keys            /etc/ntp/keys

I've read all I can about the restrict command and as far as I can tell
this should work but it don't.

    Thanks
    scottb