[ntp:questions] Re: Windows NTP Internet & fault-tolerance (multiple NTP servers)

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Nov 18 14:08:09 UTC 2005

michaelw wrote:
> Microsoft does state it supports NTP, but only with Windows 2003.
> Having said that I wouldn't have a clue as to how fully NTP has been
> ported to the MS code.

We don't know for certain but as far as we know Microsoft only supports
SNTP and not properly and that what runs on W2k3 is probably an SNTP server.

> Has anyone heard of NTP servers being spoofed to try and bring a
> network down?  Is it possible, if so how easy is it to spoof a time
> server?  Wouldn't you need to have the same IP address, or I'm probably
> showing my ignorance of hacking techniques..

We are not aware of it happening so far but you should assume that's
it's only a matter of time. There are a lot of different approaches but
I decline to discuss any of them.

>>Meinberg has created an excellent installer for this implementation of
>>NTP and helps you set up your configuration file. If you don't want to
>>go through the pain of doing this by hand it's an excellent choice.
>

> I'd do it but I doubt it would co-exist with the MS services that
> depend on Windows Time, unless you could get Windows Time to somehow
> rely on it...

In what way do they rely on Windows Time? Are they making private calls
into it? You CANNOT run both NTP and Windows Time at the same time.

Danny