[ntp:questions] Re: Garmin GPS 18 firmware update -> 200ms offset

Fri Nov 25 12:49:36 UTC 2005

Roman Mäder <newsXXF.10.rmaeder at spamgourmet.com> writes:

> I have been using a GARMIN GPS 18 LVC as my primary time source for several
> months and it has always been within a few ms of the external servers I
> configured for comparison (ntpq 4.2.0, Solaris 8). Yesterday i updated its
> firmware from 2.40 to 2.80 and now suddenly the offset is around -190ms,
> in fact it is so bad that the clock is flagged as a falseticker.

Roman,

generally I would insist on having "change logs" or "release notes" before
installing a new firmware release.  Unfortunately companies don't give them
out these days. I could suggest that either the PPS signal has a different
polarity now, or the setting was just reverted to the firmware defaults after
upgrade.

Regards,
Ulrich