[ntp:questions] Re: Refids

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Nov 28 04:16:17 UTC 2005

David L. Mills wrote:
> Danny,
>
> I've said very many times the reference ID is solely and exclusively
> intended to detect timing loops. A server can itself be synchronized to
> only one source and that source is revealed in the reference ID. There
> is no need nor no intent to interpret that field for any other purpose.
> The same reference ID goes out to all clients, regardless of the number
> of interfaces. A client of this server doesn't know whether this is an
> IPv4 or IPv6 address. The well-spoken client can check whether the field
> coincides with (any of) its IPv4 addresses or hashes to (any of) its
> IPv6 addresses, birthdays notwithstanding. There is no need to change
> any aspect of the reference ID as specified in rfc2030 and now implemented.
>
> Dave

Dave,

I admit I haven't read all of the code relating to refids and I should
do so before I continue this debate, but I do want to make sure we get
away from the idea that this really is an IPv4 address rather than an
ID. They are very different concepts. I will be going through this very
carefully as soon as get a breather to review this.

Danny