[ntp:questions] ntpd not adjusting time anymore

R rashdir at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 30 00:30:35 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm using NTP version 4.1.1b on Linux 2.4.18 running on PPC. I've
noticed that about 8 machines which are all synchronizing to a server
have gained time. But when you run ntpq -p command it behaves like
nothing's wrong(it still says that it's locked to the server)....
  remote           refid                     st t when poll reach
delay   offset  jitter
 LOCAL(0)        LOCAL(0)            13 l   58   64  377    0.000
0.000   0.008
*172.31.96.84    192.168.32.100    2 u   48   64  377    0.520  10651.6
  3.010

As you can see the offset in this case is 10 seconds. The drift file
contents are 0.000 .

ntpq is running and I don't see any error messages in the syslog. Every
time a time adjustment is made one line is logged into syslog. This
line was being printed regularly and now that line isn't being printed
anymore.

The offset on this machine reached 10 seconds and this machine's been
running for 95 days but ntpd stopped adjusting time about 30 days ago.
On another machine the offset reached 2 seconds and that machine was
running for 13 days before that and ntpd stopped adjusting time 2 days
ago.

Does anyone know what's happenning? Surely I'm not hitting the 500ppm
limit since the drift is less than 43 seconds per day.

I don't know much about the inner workings of NTP to come up with a
cause for this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions,
-R.