[ntp:questions] Re: NTP for dummies

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Mon Oct 3 06:49:56 UTC 2005

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
[]
> A large part of the motivation behind W32Time seems to have been
> Kerberos authentication.  If the systems using Kerberos are not in
> reasonably close synchronization (a minute or two) Kerberos doesn't
> work.  I believe the limit is adjustable but setting it too high
> allows "replay attacks" and other nastiness.

Yes, I appreciate that requirement.

> Given the problems that Windows seems to have with losing clock
> interrupts under load it would not surprise me if ntpd did not work
> very much better than W32Time.

Both Windows and Linux, if incorrectly configured, can have problems with
lost interrupts.  I have been unable to reproduce the lost interrupts
problem with recent versions of Windows (XP Pro SP2).  I would recommend
NTP over W32time for the best timekeeping with good monitoring and control
functions.

(I think you're saying the same but there were too many "not"s!)

David