[ntp:questions] Contradicting RFC<---> Implementation

Remo madhu_mepco at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 3 14:35:05 UTC 2005

Hi,

The NTP RFC does'nt mention anything explicitly about the sanity checks
of the clock_select procedure, but the rootdispersion check for an
association is made with the MAXDISPERSE(16 sec).{according to RFC}.

In some implementations, I could see that the limit is MAXDISTANCE + 2
(which is 3 seconds). In the time, wondering about this change and the
"3 seconds", I found that the w32time service provides a rootdispersion
above 1 second.

Could anyone let me know the reason for this change and why the w32time
service is way above threshold of 1 sec???

Thanks for your time!!!

Thanks,
Remo