[ntp:questions] Re: ntp servers reporting leap second erroneously?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Oct 14 13:58:04 UTC 2005

Rex,

What makes you think this is a problem? The leap second display is
entirely and with emphasis purposeful. There is in fact a leap second
intended for the end of the year. The NTP servers will in fact show that
indication exactly as intended. On the last day of this year the kernel
of those compliant systems will be advised of the leap and those kernels
will implement it on the last second of the year. Those kernels that do
not implement the leap will observe the leap in 900 seconds and then
regain accurate synchronization. What is your problem?

Dave