[ntp:questions] Re: Correcting my time servers clock drift on Alpha ES40s / Tru64

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Oct 24 04:44:37 UTC 2005

Tom,

It matters not what the prefix says xntpd (NTPv3), but the version
claimed in the banner is ntpd (NTPv4). The last time my paws fondled
xntpd was seven years ago and that was version 3.5. Whether somebody
updated to NTPv4 and changed the name of the program to xntpd is very
retro, bot possible, and in that case claiming a recent NTPv4 version
suggests cyberterrorist. In any case, the comment you cite in
ntp_loopfilter.c is simply not there. Maybe it should be.

Over the years there have been many occasions when folks have added
commentary to the distribution to "fix" or "explain" something. Makes me
nervous, but I don't take those comments out.

Dave