[ntp:questions] Re: Correcting my time servers clock drift on Alpha ES40s / Tru64

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at sun.removeme.com
Mon Oct 24 13:38:18 UTC 2005

David L. Mills wrote:
> Bjorn,
>
> You are absolutely correct. What the Corpsmen need to know is that, if
> the vendor does something surprising, we need a machanism to detect that
> and immediatly deflect to the vendor's helpdesk. I am very serious. The
> distribtution needs a signature.

I don't think that a signature is possible. You could establish a
"best practice" such that some kind of "modified" banner appeared
in the logs, but a signature would mean that it would change for
each and every change made by all the developers.

Note that the banner Solaris displays is:
xntpd 3-5.93e+sun 03/08/29 16:23:05 (1.4)

The "+sun" being the giveaway.  Failing that, I think that we need to
be liberal in what we accept. Innocent until proven guilty. The
newsgroup is essentially "best effort" anyway. If anybody thinks that
the code is not vanilla, then just don't respond. If the reason you
think that the code is not vanilla is relevant to the discussion,
then post your thinking. No need to waste hours discussing whether
or not it is "supported", since we are all donating our time, someone
else might be willing to forge ahead even if the code is not vanilla.

--
blu

Remember when SOX compliant meant they were both the same color?