[ntp:questions] Re: a few questions about broadcast

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Wed Oct 26 18:52:59 UTC 2005

On 2005-10-23, vrkid0 at gmail.com <vrkid0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. I tried to have on the client in addition to the "broadcastclient"
> directive the "server" and "fudge" directives for local synchronization
> in case there is a network outage (slim chance, but none the less) and
> it didn't work.

ntpd continues to discipline the clock using the "last known values" in
the event of a loss of connectivity with all time sources.

Use of the undisciplined local clock, or LocalCLK, does not improve your
ntpd stability, precision, or accuracy. The LocalCLK is intended to
allow an ntpd that is serving time to others to claim to be synchronized
_something_ and continue serving time despite the loss of real sources
of time. In other words, there's no good reason to be using the LocalCLK
on a "client-only" ntpd.

> 3. I noticed that on the client when I run `ntpq -p` it sees all the
> servers on the subnet even though only 2 servers broadcast, and while
> only 2 servers are stratum 3 and all the others are on stratum 4, the
> broadcast client moved between the servers in stratum 4 ignoring the
> broadcast servers in stratum 3.

'ntpq -p (localhost is implied unless a hostname is provided)' will
display all of the time sources the the ntpd is configured to use.

Please post 'ntpq -p' and the ntp.conf from one of your clients.