[ntp:questions] Re: should I make my servers peers to each other

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Oct 27 18:49:56 UTC 2005

"Bob Kryger" <bobk at panix.com> wrote in message
news:djqn7h$96o$1 at reader2.panix.com...

> So here's the config. I have two systems that NTP sync to various
> servers on the internet. I have chosen both pool.ntp.org systems and
> one or two that I know are very close. I have tried to arrange it so
> that each server chooses a different server on the net as it's active
> server (without using preferred).
>
> I have some 40+ systems on the inside of my network that sync to these
> two boxes.
>
> Question: Should I, does it make sense to have my two servers peer to
> each other?

Do you have two independent internet connections?

If you do, by all means have two (or perhaps four) peered border
servers. If you don't, all the usual reasons why you should not have
two servers apply.

I feel that there is one, and perhaps not more than one, scenario where
two servers are better and no worse than one. If the second gets its
time only from the first, it can serve as a backup against power failure
in the primary or similar circumstances.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink