[ntp:questions] Re: Servers reachable, but can't sync

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Thu Sep 8 17:14:15 UTC 2005

Greg McCann wrote:
[]
> To me, the network communications for the successful test (ntpdate
> -q) look exactly like the network communications for the unsuccessful
> test (ntpdate -b).
>
> I think this shows conclusively that the problem is not related to
> communication issues.
>
> I am stumped.  The communications seem to be perfect, and the -q mode
> functions flawlessly.  Yet in -b mode, after communication with the
> server is complete, ntp decides for unexplained reasons that it was
> "not suitable".

I don't know if this is related to a problem I've seen on the Windows NTP
port, where you can query a remote server with NTPQ but the NTP daemon
/sometimes/ refuses to talk with the server, instead staying in the INIT
or .STEP. status.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  The only
thing in common is that these servers are accessed via my router rather
than being on the LAN.

At one stage, it was thought that having multiple interfaces on the PC was
the cause.

David