[ntp:questions] Re: OS recomendations for stratum 2 clocks

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Sep 9 09:09:56 UTC 2005

At 2:39 AM +0000 2005-09-09, Pete Stephenson wrote:

>>  How well does 60KHz get into buildings?
>
>  Not very well, I've found. I'm in a San Francisco suburb and need to
>  keep the clock on the eastern side of the building near a thinner,
>  radio-transparent wall. If I move it across the room, it loses signal.
>  It generally can't sync during the day due to (I believe) solar
>  interference.

	I've got a couple of DCF77 clock, similar to the one you've
described, although mine also has built-in internal humidity and
temperature sensors as well as optional wireless external weather
sensors that you can put outside.  I've also found that the clocks
have to be placed pretty close to the windows, otherwise none of the
radio connections work.

	And I'm well within the DCF77 broadcast range from Frankfurt.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755