[ntp:questions] Re:Simulating NTP Failure

Leandro Pfleger de Aguiar leandro at bry.com.br
Thu Sep 15 14:06:52 UTC 2005

Richard B. wrote:

> This is not something that NTP is designed to do!!

> Your best solution might be to write a very small >program that will
>listen for NTP packets from a specific IP address and >reply with the bad
>packet(s) of your choice.  You should limit the program >to a specific IP
>address because you could wreak havoc with a server >that was sending bad
>time to just anyone who asked!!!  Even if you are >working on an isolated
>net, there's a small risk that someone could plug in a >patch cable and
>make your experiment visible to things that should never >have seen it!

>There are enough bad servers around due to accident or >neglect.  The
>world does not need any intentionally bad servers

> Leandro Pfleger de Aguiar wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >    Im working with Time Stamp Protocols, developing test cases for an
application that uses NTP confiability to synchronize some tasks. In order
to perform a specific part of one test i need to know how can i simulate a
NTP query that returns (using ntpdate) incorrect values. So what i need is a
way to turn a NTP server able to respond a query in a non synchronized
state.

> >Tanks
> >
> >L. Pfleger

Richard

    Thoose tests i´m running inside a "closed" environment. My "test NTP
server" will not be avaliable to serve any other clients, dont worry.
    Develop a little program is possible but i think that could exist
another more easy way to do this, no ? Nobody ever have tried to turn on a
NTP server on this condition ?