[ntp:questions] Re: Servers just doen't work (after following the troubleshooting page)

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 23:35:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Per Hedeland wrote:
> Well, if you've not munged the output *selectively* here,

Well, I munged it consistently (at least I tried to), so if it
is the same it will be munged the same, if different it will be
munged differently. It 1:1 correlation between real name and the
munged ones.

Anyway you seems to find the culprit.

> I believe it shows that you've run into the bug that Danny
> mentioned recently: The client sends a query to
> ntp2.<mydomain>, but gets the response from
> server2.<mydomain>, i.e. presumably a different IP address on
> the same host. The client will not (and should not) be
> interested in responses coming from what it sees as "someone
> else". The same effect will apply to the intra-server/peer
> queries.

Aha. Yes, that sounds like a reasonable explanation! I guess
this is the caveat of UDP, since the reply have to come in
separate connection? Yes that's make sense.

I make the ntp server addresses on secondary address of each
machines, since I am planning to move things around later, in
creating high-availability system around here. I guess it just
won't work with ntp? Can I make sure ntp server only work on one
IP of an interface? I'll read the ntp.conf first.

Thanks!

--
                               Stephan Paul Arif Sahari Wibowo