[ntp:questions] Re: exporting NTP from the US

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Wed Apr 5 09:15:22 UTC 2006

"Danny Mayer" <mayer at ntp.isc.org> wrote in message
news:442B5696.2080700 at ntp.isc.org...

> Well to be perfectly correct, it does not use encryption in operation
> except for the generation of keys (ntpgen), but it does do
> authentication in operation as well as using MD5 for packet validation.

    Last I checked, I believe that US law had no restrictions on products
that only use encryption for authentication, so long as data is sent in the
clear. So you should be able to export a binary of NTP so long as it is
statically-linked to its encryption routines. IANAL, and I am going from
memory from a few years ago. Laws do change.

    DS