[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd polling server every second

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 9 19:09:32 UTC 2006

graham wrote:

> Had this odd behaviour yesterday and wondered if I've overlooked
> something. With this simplistic config file
>
>   server <my ISP's ntp server>
>   driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
>   restrict default noquery notrust nomodify
>   restrict 127.0.0.1
>
> the daemon server was querying the ISP server every second.
> When I later modified the default restrict to "ignore" it behaved as
> expected (ie. every 2^6 seconds).
>
> Am I missing something ?
> If it makes a difference this is ntpd version 4.2.0.
>
> graham.

If you are going to use a restrict default ignore, you will need to add
a restrict statement for each server; e.g.
restrict <my ISP's ntp server> nomodify
If you don't ntpd will ignore all packets from the server!  Not what you
want!

If you use "notrust" you need to set up authentication between your
daemon server and the remote server.

I think you should also submit a bug report.  ntpd should NEVER be
banging a server every second no matter how screwed up the configuration
  is!!!!!!!  Be sure to provide sufficient detail so the problem can be
reproduced.  The developers will probably need to know the O/S and
version you are using, the version of ntpd, where your ntpd came from
(did you build it from source or did it come with the O/S, how you built
it if you did it, etc, etc.)