[ntp:questions] Re: WWVB 60kHz Receiver

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at uk.me.buzzard
Sat Apr 15 22:12:35 UTC 2006

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:33:49 -0400, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> Possible?  Yes.  Probable?  No!  If you want to invest about $35 in an
> "atomic clock" You can hang it on your wall and check the reception
> indication several times during the work day.  If you get solid
> reception during daylight hours a WWVB receiver just might give you
> sub-millisecond accuracy.  If you lose signal during daylight hours,
> forget it!

Except the clocks use very simplistic methods for decoding the signal.
Something not to dissimilar to the current versions of radioclkd. However
you can do much better than this.

If you employ some advanced (well not that advanced really but it looks
very impressive) statistical filtering to the signal you can still decode
a signal when the basic methods fail utterly. I know the clocks are not
doing this because it would require way more CPU power than the
micro-controllers in them have.

JAB.

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195