[ntp:questions] Re: WWVB 60kHz Receiver

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Apr 17 13:05:57 UTC 2006

My main LF antenna for other than WWVB is an AMRAD-design active voltage
probe antenna, with a 1 meter whip and a fiercely linear front-end (the
transistor runs with something like 70ma bias to keep distortion
products down).  It actually works very well for LORAN, with strong
signal strength and very low noise numbers.

The problem, though, is that the broadband power (measured on an HP
3586C selective voltmeter, in broadband mode) is about -6dBm, changing
to about -3dBm at night when the BCB antenna patterns change.  That high
power level was apparently changing the operating parameters of the
LORAN receiver front end, and when the power changed by 3dB at night, it
caused about a 30ns phase shift.  Adding a low pass filter knocked the
broadband power down by about 50dB, and solved the problem.

I recently got an official Austron loop antenna of eBay, and plan to get
that installed outside this summer.  But with the BCB filter in place,
the AMRAD antenna does a really good job (and it's useful for other
things as well -- I've also used it to receive WWVB).

73,
John
----