[ntp:questions] Re: WWVB 60kHz Receiver

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Apr 21 21:11:07 UTC 2006

Jonathan,

I've been down the fancy decoding path myself, e.g., the WWV driver,
which is a theoretically optimum linear receiver. However, much of the
crud found at WWVB and DCF77 frequencies is bursty, which is what my
LORAN-C receiver and program is good for. The Spectracom receiver is
actually quite good: however, it was designed to cope with Gaussian
noise, not suffer a 20-dB clobber by an interfering buzzsaw signal.

My precerred approach, should I accept the assignement, would be to tap
onto the I and Q baseband signals in the radio, chop at something like
10 kHz and feed to the L and R inputs on a sound card. I can take it
from there. My problemis that the SNR has become so degraded that the
very good PLL in the radio doesn't lock up.

Dave