[ntp:questions] Re: limitation on the client time/date at ntp startup

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 21 23:01:50 UTC 2006

BG wrote:

> What is the limitation on the time difference of a client clock at ntp
> startup? Is it 1000 sec? Is there an option to increase this or a
> 'commercial' version of NTP that will allow greater differences? e.g.
> years
>
> I have a local network set up with a GPS connected to one pc acting as
> a ntp server. The GPS synchronizes the system clock of this pc. NTP
> distributes the time to another pc on the network. It appears that I
> can not change the client pc time/date more than 1000 sec or ntp will
> not correct the client clock.
>
> thank you

Then don't change the time on the client!!!  This is a non-issue in a
properly configure NTP network.

The limit is 1024 seconds and I doubt that anyone is willing to change
it.  You can start ntpd on the client with the -g option and it will set
the client's clock on a one time basis.  Thereafter, ntpd should be able
to keep it synchronized.  If not, there is something very wrong with,
most probably, the client or (barely possible) the server.

When ntpd is synchronizing the client, no one should be trying to change
the client's clock!!!