[ntp:questions] Re: Question to NTP developers

Eugen COCA ecoca at eed.usv.ro
Thu Aug 24 03:40:37 UTC 2006

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> for some reason your
> GPS is saying "Here's some data, but due to X PPS is currently disabled".

There is only one GPS receiver and, of course, one PPS hardware signal.
How could the PPS signal be present on one server and absent on the
other in the same time ? This is my problem and I suspect 50% the
hardware on the motherboards and 50% the software (OS + NTP) !

And this is why I put only one receiver on both servers to diagnose the
problem.

And, very strange, when the server stop syncing on the GPS, only and
many PPS SYNC DISABLED messages appear in the log. Just restarting the
ntpd service will solve the problem. This is another strange behaviour
- why, if it is a hardware problem, restarting the service eliminate it
?

Still searching ...