[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Eugen COCA ecoca at eed.usv.ro
Tue Aug 29 15:20:51 UTC 2006

Ronan Flood wrote:

> "Access
>     o This server is private use only.
>     o All other users should use pool.ntp.org.

This is nonsense !

If the server is for private use, then why did you listed it in
pool.ntp.org ?

If you your server in the pool then the server is public.

If there are ANY pool.ntp.org admin reading this thread - you have to
find a solution to remove this kind of servers.

The pools are a mixture of very good and very bad servers (one good
example is the one we talked above). In the pool there are stratum 1,
2, 3 or maybe more servers. In my opinion the admins must rethink the
algorithm of accepting or not a server (maybe one ideea is to make
separate pools for each stratum, I don't know).

Anyway, the BEST ideea is to put in your ntp.conf as many servers as
you know (9 or maybe more).