[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Wed Aug 30 13:35:01 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> Danny Mayer wrote:
>> Danny,
>>
>> The problem I am referring to is a DNS issue, not related to NTP,
>> and it doesn't look to have been fixed yet:

>> C:\>nslookup 0.uk.pool.ntp.org
>> Server:  ns1-edi.blueyonder.net
>> Address:  62.31.64.39
>>
>> *** ns1-edi.blueyonder.net can't find 0.uk.pool.ntp.org: Non-existent
>> domain
>>
>> C:\>nslookup 1.uk.pool.ntp.org
>> Server:  ns1-edi.blueyonder.net
>> Address:  62.31.64.39
>>
>> *** ns1-edi.blueyonder.net can't find 1.uk.pool.ntp.org: Non-existent
>> domain
>>
>> C:\>
>>
>> Something about the DNS records causes "normal" DNS servers to
>> reject the updates - sorry but I don't know the exact details.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>
> I don't think you understand how DNS operates. If you are getting
> NXDOMAIN for this address, your DNS was unsuccessful in getting the
> record and caches that fact for a certain length of time defined in
> the TTL field of the SOA record of the domain. Once the time has
> expired it will retry the query when asked for that address. You
> might also want to turn off the "DNS Client" on your system as this
> has similar bad effects.
>
> Danny

Thanks, Danny.

You are indeed correct that I have less understanding of precisely how DNS
operates than how NTP operates.  However, as I don't see this problem with
other NTP servers, just those from the pool, so I am forced to conclude
that it might be the way the pool operates compared to a more conventional
static DNS.

The pool operators are aware of this problem, I believe, and are
addressing it.

Cheers,
David