[ntp:questions] Problem with date since a few hours

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Sat Dec 2 15:35:21 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Fabrice wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It seems that I get 1st january 2000 as a date from pool.ntp.org, using
>> command
>>
>> /usr/sbin/netdate tcp pool.ntp.org
>>
>> Has anyone noticed anything?
>>
>> Fabrice
>

> What is "netdate" and what O/S are you running it on?
>
> I'm sure someone would have noticed of any of the pool servers were off
> by six years and eleven months.  They are carefully monitored and
> required to be within a few milliseconds of the correct time.
>
> FWIW NTP uses UDP rather than TCP!
Probably this one:
from : http://home.august.com/~akfullfo/netdate/README.txt

What it is
----------

Netdate makes use of the UDP "time" service provided by
many Unix systems to query for the current time, and
optionally set it on the local system.  It is a pauper's
alternative to NTP.

What it does
------------

Netdate will set the local system time to within a second
or two of the collective wisdom of one or more time
servers.  It uses a voting scheme to eliminate responses
that are not in general agreement with the majority of
the servers.  As such, it really only works well in an
environment where there are accessible machines that
maintain a reliable timebase, probably via NTP.

It works on a variety of Unix systems and is easy to
compile and install.

uer