[ntp:questions] Badly drifting system time

yorhel at gmail.com yorhel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 13:25:28 UTC 2006

Tim Keck wrote:
> yorhel at gmail.com wrote:
> > I have used the NTP pool project for quite some time on several servers
> > now, and I decided I wanted to help the project by donating an NTP
> > server too. The problem is though, that my server has a badly drifting
> > system time (it's about 10-15 ms/s too fast). I temporarily "fixed"
> > that by running ntpdate as an hourly cron-job. But to run an NTP server
> > I obviously need something better than that.
> >
> > I have tried to play around with ntpd, but it didn't want to correct my
> > system time. A few hours after running ntpdate and starting ntpd, the
> > system time has drifted away again.
> > 'ntpq -p' tells me all the servers I've configured are rejected, and
> > the offset keeps growing from -100 (at ntpd startup) to -47000 (about
> > an hour after ntp startup)
> >
> > Is it possible to correct the system time somehow (preferably using
> > ntpd) so I can run an accurate ntp server?
> >
> Yes, but this requires proper configuration (using ntp.conf) to do so.
> If you would post the contetnts of ntp.conf and the output of ntpq -p
> that would be a start.
> Tim Keck

# ntp.conf
restrict default noquery notrust nomodify
restrict 127.0.0.1

# I'm using the ntp pool for now, I'll change
# to manually found servers when I join the pool
server 0.nl.pool.ntp.org
server 1.nl.pool.ntp.org
server 2.nl.pool.ntp.org

restrict 0.nl.pool.ntp.org noquery nomodify
restrict 1.nl.pool.ntp.org noquery nomodify
restrict 2.nl.pool.ntp.org noquery nomodify

driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
# -- end

And 'ntpq -p' about one hour after starting ntpd:
$ ntpq -p
jitter
 www.dreamcommun 130.88.200.98    3 u   47   64  377    4.123  -48826.
1992.79
 lolly.dreamcomm 194.159.73.44    3 u   44   64  377    4.044  -50219.
1708.12
 mallos2.xs4all. 131.211.80.155   3 u    6   64  377   14.200  -49269.
1993.65