[ntp:questions] Badly drifting system time

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 3 13:40:38 UTC 2006

In article <1165146398.391563.76000 at f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
yorhel at gmail.com wrote:

> I have used the NTP pool project for quite some time on several servers
> now, and I decided I wanted to help the project by donating an NTP
> server too. The problem is though, that my server has a badly drifting
> system time (it's about 10-15 ms/s too fast). I temporarily "fixed"

Please don't even think of adding that machine to the pool!   If it
is gaining, you have problems other than lost interrupts (which can
sometimes be mitigated by setting HZ to a sensible value, but always
cause the clock to run slow).  It may well mean that the crystal isn't
properly disciplining the software clock.

If you are unable to fix the underlying problem, you may still be able to
compensate, but for local use only, please, by using tickadj to correct the
frequency in multiples of 100 parts per million, to get you within 50 ppm.