[ntp:questions] Problem with date since a few hours

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 3 14:22:05 UTC 2006

Fabrice wrote:
>>Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

>>>What is "netdate" and what O/S are you running it on?
>

> netdate is a standard command on my system to update the local time from a
> time server. It runs on linux slackware 10.2.
>

>>>I'm sure someone would have noticed of any of the pool servers were off
>>>by six years and eleven months.  They are carefully monitored and
>>>required to be within a few milliseconds of the correct time.
>

> I agree with that: I have been using netdate on my gateway to internet for
> years to retrieve the accurate time and to serve it to the PCs on the
> internal family network. No problem for at least 4 years...
>
> I was therefore very surprised this morning when all my clocks had been set
> up to year 2000!
>
> Now the situation is back to normal. Netdate gets back again the correct
> time.
>
>>>FWIW NTP uses UDP rather than TCP!
>

> According to netdate man page, both protocols can be used.
>
> Thanks for your replies,
>
> Fabrice

netdate does not use the NTP protocol!

If you want the correct time from an NTP server, I'd suggest using
(x)ntpd or even ntpdate.  ntpdate is deprecated but still widely
available and widely used.  It sets your clock on a one time basis.
Some people run it using cron.  ntpd is best if you want really accurate
time; you can get +/- 10 milliseconds using internet servers.