[ntp:questions] ntpd (4.2.2p1) stays "synchronized to LOCAL"

Jordan Russell jr at no.email.please
Tue Dec 5 01:11:25 UTC 2006

Jordan Russell wrote:
> When ntpd is in this state, the clock loses roughly half a second every
> minute, or about 10 minutes after a day of uptime (!).

I think I've narrowed down the cause of this: The Linux kernel
(2.6.18.5) is actually misdetecting the CPU frequency; it claims the
processor is running at ~804 MHz when it's really running at ~797 MHz.

I find that ntpd works fine if I switch away from the default "tsc"
clocksource to a clocksource not dependent on the CPU frequency being
detected correctly, e.g. "acpi_pm":

# echo acpi_pm >
/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource

--
Jordan Russell