[ntp:questions] peers don't synch with each other when runnig on local clock

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Fri Dec 8 19:27:00 UTC 2006

>I've noticed a strange behavior of ntpd-4.2.3.
>
>Two hosts
>- configured to act as peers to each other
>- with an unreachable external time source
>- the local clock configured as fallback
>both select their local clock and stay in this mode, even when the
>offset
>between them grows and grows.
>
>With ntp 4.2.0, one of them took over control so that they stayed at
>least in-
>sync with each other.

[chip]
>fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 10

[chap]
>fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 10

> chip  *LOCAL(0)  .LOCL.      10 l   10   16  377    0.000    0.000 0.001
> chip   chap      LOCAL(0)    11 u   14   16  376    0.133   12.538 0.038

I don't know how the old version worked.  Did you have the exact
same config files?

This looks like it's doing something sensible.  It's picking the local
stratum 10 clock over the remote stratum 10 system.  Both sides are
doing the same thing.

Which system do you want to be boss in this case?  Try making the
local clock on the other one run at stratum 12.