[ntp:questions] HP media vault and stratum-1's

Marc Brett marc at fordson.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 16:46:22 UTC 2006

Thanks, Lee, for sticking your head above the parapet on this issue.

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:09:22 GMT, "Lee Devlin"
<lee._remove_this_1st_devlin at hp.com> wrote:

>HP did host a StratumOne server under the hp.com domain at one time, but it
>went offline for some reason.  With the way that companies get purchased,
>merged, re-organized, etc., it's probably a better policy to just use the
>pool.ntp.org servers.

The cynic in me believes the bean counters saw an opportunity to outsource
something for zero cost.

>I'll  get this fixed in the next firmware release.

If the firmware is to be revised....

"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200612 at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:87r6v41a0z.fsf at arbol.wsrcc.com...
> The unit appears to ignore the
> DHCP-supplied ntp servers I give it

...so get the DHCP client to recognize the system administrator's choice of ntp
servers.  Is there a good reason to ignore such a request?

Your FAQ on the issue should recommend that users' first choice of NTP servers
be from their organization, then their ISP, and the last choice be the public
stratum 2 servers.