[ntp:questions] HP media vault and stratum-1's

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sat Dec 16 18:03:37 UTC 2006

Lee Devlin wrote:
> "Dennis Hilberg Jr" <a.user at somedomain> wrote in message
> news:_vudneloL_0TAhzYnZ2dnUVZ_v63nZ2d at comcast.com...
>> According to the ntp.isc.org server list, there are two Stratum One time
>> servers at the HP facility in Palo Alto, CA, although they are not hosted
>> under the hp.com domain, they are under the dec.com domain.
>>
>> http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/UsnoPaXDecCom
>> http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/ClepsydraDecCom
>
> Yes, I found those servers yesterday while investigating this issue.
> However, they are StratumOne servers and so even though HP pays for them, it
> is against the 'Rules of Engagement' for even HP's end clients to use them.
> I guess one way to fix the issue would be to move them into the StratumTwo
> pool, but I don't want to suggest that because that would remove them from
> the StratumOne pool, which is probably a more critical service to the
> community in the overall scheme of things.

Those systems were set up at DEC in Palo Alto years ago by Paul Vixie if
I recall correctly. He wrote one of the refclock drivers for Clepsydra.
When Compaq bought DEC and then HP bought Compaq those systems went with
it. While HP can do anything it wants with its own equipment that does
not apply to servers owned by anyone else anywhere in the world. HP can
give itself permission for its customers to use these systems. However,
I wouldn't recommend it even then since a large deployment of such
equipment will start sending a large volume of request to those servers
and since that would happen from around the world with large network
distances and variations in response. Stratum-1 servers are strictly
offlimits for casual use like this.

Danny