[ntp:questions] NTP daemon broken in 2.6.19?

Timo Felbinger Timo.Felbinger at physik.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Dec 17 13:04:58 UTC 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, MH wrote:

> I recently upgraded my kernel from 2.6.13 to 2.6.19 and discovered that NTP
> service is no longer functional. The NTP daemon logs the following:
>
> cap_set_proc() failed to drop root privileges: Operation not permitted

Make sure you have the "default linux capabilities" in your new kernel,
either as a module (modprobe capability), or just compile them statically
into the kernel (somewhere under "security options" in the kernel config
menu).

Regards,

Timo

--
Timo Felbinger                  http://www.felbinger.net
Quantum Physics Group           Phone:  +49 331 977 1793   Fax: -1767