[ntp:questions] ntpd association was in reject mode

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Sun Dec 24 18:23:32 UTC 2006

"ed" <seahalo at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1166888347.984979.136730 at a3g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
[...]
> I set four GPS server in ntp.config,

Damn. How much do you pay for that? (Doesn't your ISP have some nice
stratum 2 servers you could use?)

> and start ntpd, meanwhile I also set ntpdate in the cron half an hour.

No. You do one or the other. Ntpd wants the clock for itself. Ntpdate
doesn't care, but it's not as good as ntpd; it can't be - that would
require having the clock to itself.

[...]
> And because the oscillator on the board seems not very well, the time
> will shift 8 ms every seconds from the ntpdate log, which seems like
> 100ppm.

More like 8000 ppm. Think about it: 8 ms/s, 8000 dimensionless parts
per million.

[...]
> How can I set up the ntpd sync with server ?

You have to get the error under 500 ppm first. You can do that by
changing what value is added to the clock every timer tick, using
adjtimex -t if I am not mistaken. That's a permanent adjustment,
on the basis of which NTP can then start finetuning and dynamically
keeping time.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink