[ntp:questions] Problems building 4.2.2p4 on Mac OS X 10.1.5

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Mon Dec 25 00:12:43 UTC 2006

>>> In article <4v6501F1aqhmhU1 at mid.individual.net>, "Pierre Dubuc" <pldubuc at yahoo.ca> writes:

Pierre> I downloaded ntp-dev-4.2.3p70-RC and ran configure with the
Pierre> --with-arlib option.

You don't need the --with-arlib option.  The only thing that does is to
compile arlib - we don't use it.

Pierre> I see that ntp_rfc2553.o gets added to libntp.a prior to compiling
Pierre> the ntpd executable, but make still stops on the same error as with
Pierre> 4.2.2p4: "/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols: _getnameinfo"

The problem is (probably) that configure has decided that you have IPv6
support, which ordinarily includes getnameinfo().  We might be able to find
a way to detect this case and provide it - can you see if you can edit
ntp_rfc2553.c to provide that routine - you might need to provide other stuf
as well.

If this works, we can detect this case and handle it for you automatically.