[ntp:questions] Is there a conflict between ntpdate and ntpd?

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at SystematicSW.Invalid
Mon Dec 25 17:10:03 UTC 2006

On 25 Dec 2006 01:51:08 -0800 in comp.protocols.time.ntp, "ed"
<seahalo at gmail.com> wrote:

>Thank you, Steve !
>After watch, I find, in most of time, the NTP server could be selected
>and synchronized by ntpd. But the selected NTP Server was changed
>frequently from the first to fourth.

All servers are used, the "selected" server is just that whose time
was closest to the last time computed by ntpd.

>>From your said, I guess it was affected by the ntpdate.

The former use of ntpdate at startup can be replaced by using the ntpd
-g flag to perform a step at ntpd startup.

>Is there other possibility that it's due to my quartz clock is too
>unstable?

ntpd would show other messages.

>And in the drift file, it shows 209.081.
>>From the /var/log/messages file, the ntpd do not show any additional
>output after startup.

That means it's working okay.

--
Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis 	Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Brian.Inglis at CSi.com 	(Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address		use address above to reply