[ntp:questions] Re: NTP configuration problem

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Feb 15 17:58:26 UTC 2006

J S wrote:
> Thanks for the reply-
>
> This is on Planet-Lab OS (http://www.planet-lab.org) where NTP is already
> configured, but  I need to run my own NTP client for an experiment. I have
> the root access to my slice, but since port 123 is alreadyin use, I am
> facing this problem.
>
> I was wondering if I can configure my machine for  just NTP client and not
> the server, this way I can bypass the bind() operation. I know openntpd
> permits this but I think it does not change the rate of the clock( that's
> what I have read)

ABSOLUTELY NOT! If you already have another process disciplining your
clock running a second process would cause havoc. If another process is
running there is nothing that you need to do.

If you MUST use your own client, you MUST first stop the other process
and run your own client (privileged).

Never, EVER, allow two processes to discipline the clock.

Danny