[ntp:questions] Re: Local NTP for 5 Subnets

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Thu Feb 23 10:33:40 UTC 2006

mrkofee at googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have ~50 PC's in 5 Subnets and want to synchronize them to a local
> NTP Server.
> I've installed the ntp Package on Debian and configured it like
> described on http://www.brennan.id.au/09-Network_Time_Protocol.html so
> my ntp.conf looks like this:

[]
> But everytime I want to sync one of the Clients Clock I get an error
> like "ntpdate [xxxxx] no server suitable for synchronisation found" or
> on Windows something like "timecheck refused: Peer stratum lower than
> host Stratum"
>
> can someone help me?
> Greetings Tom

Tom,

I'm not a Linux person, but I would suggest:

- remove all the restrict etc. statements for testing

- the "fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 5" should be 10 and not 5.  5 is probaly
too low.

- check the result of "ntpq -p" on the server - does it show the server as
synchronising, and to what?

- check the result of "ntpq -p" on a client - what does it synchronise to?

David