[ntp:questions] Re: NTP and DCF77 leap logs

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Jan 6 19:12:25 UTC 2006

Serge,

Please lapse back into engineering mode and reformulate your opinion.
Seriously consider what happens when (a) upstream sources indicate a
leap and the kernel does not implement a leap function, (b) the radio
does not recognize the leap warning and steps only some minutes later,
(c) one or more samples of extreme error arrive outside the step
threshold and then return to nominal, (d) there is no advance warning
and the upstream sources step on or after the leap. Once you consider
these cases in detail and provide a compromise solution, I would be very
happy to learn your opinion. Meanwhile, the envelope of acceptable
behavior is the current implementation.

Dave