[ntp:questions] Re: Reach isn't 377 on peered servers

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Thu Jan 12 12:10:14 UTC 2006

David L. Mills wrote:
> David.
>
> Depending on phasing and poll interval, it might (and does) happen
> that during a poll interval one peer will see none, one or two polls
> from the other peer. That is normal and does not affect the
> synchronization function. Sometimes as the poll interval ramps up
> more than one interval may go by without an arriving packet. In the
> expected case where the peers are low in the stratum forest and the
> highest reliability is needed, it probably is a good idea to clamp
> the maxpoll to the default minpoll.
>
> Dave

Dave,

Thanks for that.  I can see that the phasing could make the numbers 0, 1
or 2 polls, just depending.  What I'm not quite so clear about with peered
servers is how a server can show a poll interval of 1024s against an
external server, and yet 64s against a peered server which is just
starting up, and therefore has an interval of 64s against its own external
servers.

It probably really means I don't understand exactly peering works!  "One
server can set the time of the other" is what I think I know.

73,
David