[ntp:questions] Re: Looking for time sync hardware supported under Linux for under $400?

Mark Hansen meh at NOSPAMwinfirst.com
Tue Jan 17 20:50:19 UTC 2006

On 01/17/2006 12:01 PM, Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2006-01-17, Mark Hansen <meh at NOSPAMwinfirst.com> wrote:
>
>> It is possible to find a time synchronization device which is
>> supported by the NTP software (NTP version 4.2.0.a on CentOS 4.2) for
>> under $400?
>
> Garmin GPS-18LVC

Thanks. Can I please ask a couple other questions about this?

The documentation for it says that the serial interface is TTL levels
(which are 0-5v, if I understand correctly), rather than what would be
expected by a PC serial port (which are 0-15v, again IIUC).

Can this just be connected to the PC serial port, or will I have
to build/buy a TTL -> RS-232 converter/adapter?

I looked through the 'Comprehensive list of clock drivers' supplied with
the NTP software, and didn't see this device mentioned. Is it know by
another name to the NTP software?

Thanks again!